Thursday 8 April 2021

GoPro HERO9 Review

The GoPro HERO 9 arrived in a black canvas carry case inside a branded sleeve box, inside it comes with a battery, the USB type A to USB-C charging and data transfer lead, a curved cycle helmet type fixing along with the connection to the camera mount, a quick start/setup guide, a products questions and answers booklet and the main camera.

First impressions: I found the case rather disappointing having a moulded plastic insert to hold the camera and fixtures, it has a webbing to hold documents but lacks the bespoke foam insert I would expect with a high end product for added protection. The camera looks and feels extremely high quality with nice attention to detail and flawless finishing, the camera does not come with a manual or usage instructions and you need to obtain this in pdf form from their homepage, I prefer products to come with a hard copy but this seems to be normal with most products now.

After unpacking the camera I fitted the battery and a 64gb micro SD card (not supplied), the battery compartment has quite a unique opening system with a slider then hinged system that I found awkward to open at first but after a few times I got used to it and now find it fairly easy and straight forward. While the camera charged I acquired the user manual from their website and had a good read through, I found it very detailed, user friendly with specific sections itemised and easy to follow, once the camera had charged I started it up for the first time, I already use a GoPro Hero5 so had the application already on my phone and linking up the Hero9 was very simple and both cameras are easily selectable and switchable within the app.

Most of the adjustments are performed via the touch screen on the camera and I found the menu system easy enough to navigate although the touch sensitivity not as responsive/accurate as a mobile phone and having large hands and fingers I often selected the wrong item when adjusting settings. One thing I found very disappointing was that although I could preview image from the phone application it did not allow any preview while recording, I understand this is to optimise the lifespan of the battery but I really would have liked to have this as a switchable option so the choice is not taken out of my hands as I do use the viewing via the app a lot when recording away from the camera.

The front viewing screen works really well and makes it very easy to adjust to the perfect picture when self recording, I like that the front lens is removable and replaceable as it allows for replacing a scratched or damaged lens along with fitting modification lenses. Both the front and rear screens are adjustable within the menu system along with other personalised adjustments such as the volume of the camera bleep and LED lights on the camera


I have been trying out many of the different recording modes on the camera and this is really where it shines being very easy for a new user to select a pre-set recording mode along with having the ability for an advanced user to fine tune it to their desired setting. 

I tested out the horizon levelling which I found to be impressive and useful in some situations, I found the timewarp feature worked really well and will certainly be utilising this feature quite a bit, the hindsight although innovative the fact it still drains the battery is not something I think I would use and would leave the camera recording and just edit or delete unwanted footage, the scheduled capture worked as it should but again not really a feature I envisage using although it could be a very useful feature to some, the water drain on the microphone seemed to work well although I had nothing to compare it with.


Overall the recording quality is superb and it really delivers on a multitude of features and adjustments with many unique along with enhancing the recording quality, I was disappointed that you could not view while recording via the app which may not be an issue for some but it is for me, the front facing view screen is certainly a neat and useful feature, the touch screen is good although not as accurate as a mobile phone and big fingers such as mine may struggle with selection as I did. I would add that if you are transferring footage to a PC using the USB type A to USB-C lead rather than removing the micro SD card you need to go into connections on the camera menu and select USB connection MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) to allow the computer to see the camera and be able to transfer media.


Price: £429.99

PRODUCT LINK

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Contact our Support

Email us: kalbowocs@gmail.com

Our Team Members